Let’s discuss the process of leadership growth. How do you grow as a leader? I’ve had to go through that process, and I’ve learned that there are five phases to this process. It’s a daily event. You’re not going to read one book or go to one event to instantly become a leader. Take a look below.
- Understand you don’t know what you don’t know. People in this phase aren’t truly aware of their influence and leadership; they’re not likely to grow. It’s outside their domain of understanding and knowledge.
- You know you need to know. Here, you get a position of leadership and realize that nobody’s following you. It’s a tough struggle, but you realize you need to learn more about leadership and influence. I strongly encourage you to engage in growth daily. Engage in getting good at leadership. Read books, study, and watch films about business, life, and successful people. It’s a growth process.
- You know what you don’t know. The biggest change in this phase for me was when I stumbled upon John Maxwell’s 15 Laws of Growth. This book continues to change my life daily. It challenged me to become a better person and leader. It inspired me to increase my influence.
- You know and you grow, and it’s starting to show. I was in a speaking event recently and engaged with a young business owner. I asked a few questions, and learned that I’ve grown and that therefore he’s shown up at this event. I know this about him. If he commits daily to growth, then he is going to grow. 20 years down the road, if he commits daily to his own growth, he will grow in influence and in leadership.
- You simply go because of what you know. It becomes instinctive. It becomes automatic. You can truly just go. You’ve changed who you are, and you keep going.
Those are the five phases and the transitions that I personally have gone through. I hope this helps you as you continue through your own growth. Leadership can’t be developed in a day, but it can be developed daily. If you have any questions, give me a call or send me an email. I would be happy to help you!